I am a seasoned systems thinker, user experience strategist and web technologist looking to join the online education revolution.
From Web sites to social media, my pragmatic strategies, designs and leadership have empowered companies to solve the problems they face across their digital ecosystems. For the 15 years following my transition from academia to business, I’ve helped companies across all industries, from the Fortune 500 to startups, to:
- Create engaging experiences across digital touchpoints
- Evolve ineffective Web sites to meet customer needs and make them better business tools
- Navigate the roles of new technologies, platforms and services for business
Digital Business Strategy
- Experience strategist on multi-national Web sites for clients such as Chevron, Chipotle, Sonos and Nissan
- Proven analyst of competitive landscapes, technology and social trends for their impact on digital products and services
- Advisor on how changes to digital touchpoints impact internal company processes, teams and technology infrastructure
- Leader on over 50 marketing and web application projects
- Producer and facilitator of 30+ executive workshops Producer and facilitator of 30+ executive workshops for large companies, including Chevron, Cisco, Autodesk and Hewlett-Packard
- Practice and project team leader with 10+ years experience managing up to 20 direct reports
- Superior written and oral communicator, with 15 years experience lecturing and public speaking
- Published author of whitepapers, articles and over 20 scientific publications
- Blogger since 2000, with experience blogging professionally and personally, and in acting as editor in chief for a corporate blog
- Experienced social media user
Independent consultant (January 2011 to Present)
Digital business strategy consulting for clients in a variety of industries, including retail, manufacturing and financial services.
Sequence (March 2006 to August 2010)
Director of Digital Business Strategy and Technology Lead
Strategic and design consulting services on a variety of small to large-scale Web projects. Clients included Chevron, Chipotle, Sonos, Bonhams, Citrix, and Team Beachbody. Develop company social media offering and maintain company blog and Twitter stream. Design, develop and maintain business critical operational tools.
MetaDesign (March 2005 to March 2006)
Director of Strategy
Strategic consulting on Web, application design and mobile projects for clients including Cisco, Autodesk, SAP and Nokia.
Independent consultant (March 2002 to March 2005)
Information architect, interaction designer, technologist
Design and information architecture services to a variety of clients, including Yahoo!, Cisco Systems, Proactiv, and the Home Shopping Network.
Sapient and Studio Archetype (April 1999 to March 2002)
Director of Web Development & Senior Manager of User Experience
Directed creative teams in the solution of business problems using a balance of design and advanced technology. Clients included Nissan, Hewlett-Packard, and the California State Automobile Association.
National Institute of Standards and Technology (October 1995 to March 1999)
Design and implementation of a Web-based user interface to high-performance computing resources at NIST. Developed numerous GUI applications. Conducted research concerning phase stability and thermodynamics in solids.
University of California, Berkeley
M.S. / Ph.D. Materials Science and Engineering (1994, GPA 4.0)
B.S. Chemical Engineering & Materials Science and Engineering (1989, GPA 3.82)
Available upon request
I have over 20 scientific publications in respected, peer-reviewed journals. Please contact me if you would like copies of any of my papers.