Business strategy is a murky endeavor; the only constant is relentless change. Uncertainty is especially prevalent in the world of digital business, products and services. Products succeed and flop. Companies thrive and struggle. Customer expectations are constantly shifting. Strategic planning can’t eliminate risk; all it can do is increase the odds of success. Thought leadership is about facing this uncertainty, shining a flashlight on possible paths forward, and then enabling decision making.
In my 17+ years of Internet consulting, Web site development, and application design, I’ve strived to provide thought leadership whenever possible, leveraging my understanding of design (what’s useful and desirable), technology (what’s feasible), and business (what’s realistic). My flashlight shines on questions like:
- What is the system of social, cultural, economic and technological forces that surround businesses and their customers?
- What trends should be considered when making strategic decisions about products and services?
- How can businesses optimize internal processes, approaches, and methodologies to deliver in a climate of uncertainty?
- What assumptions in my current business environment need to be challenged?
- What things should we be considering to improve the odds of success for our product(s), applications or organization?