look ma, no tables!

yesterday, i said "look ma, no tables!" after i had built a nice, standards-compliant web page without the use of tables. today i experienced the concomitant disaster (although digital disasters are usually not as nasty as broken arms, at least not for the coder).

as my template was reviewed by those who needed to use it (read: the client), it became obvious that the tool with which it was going to be modified, Dreamweaver MX (read: lousy piece of @#$*), has a bad rendering engine (read: an old version of Opera) that fails to properly parse a lot of CSS. tricksy rendering engines – we hates them! we hates them all!!

and so, tail between legs and nice separation of structure and content out the window, i proceeded to soil my pretty page with tables to create the proper layout in DW MX so that it could be modified by the client’s overworked, understaffed, laterally skilled web development collective.

my apologies to jeffrey zeldman. i didn’t have the time (or software) required to debug my page in a "browser" that’s not even a browser.

i can hardly wait for the day when i can say, "look ma, no browser!," but i know mother nature will be waiting for me…